Bereavement and Grief
Some of our pupils may have already experienced, or will experience, bereavement during their time at school. We will endeavour to do our best to support you and your child through this difficult time and ensure that they are cared for with sensitivity and respect. Please, where possible, let your child’s teacher know so that they can offer the best possible support. Due to the sensitive nature of the subject, the teacher will only discuss what you have requested and use terminology you have approved.
In school we have texts that support children’s understanding of death and grief in a child-centred way. These stories are tailored to give children some understanding of what has happened and again these can be shared with you before they are read to your child.
Further information can also be found at:
- Winston’s Wish – The Charity for Bereaved Children
- How Children Grieve – Support for Bereaved Children
- Bereavement for children
- Children and bereavement – How do children cope?
- Children and bereavement – Live Well – NHS Choices
- Supporting a child when someone dies